21 Sep Why Should You Use Neon Signs for Your Restaurant
There are many options to choose from when it comes to signages. From simple traditional signs, illuminated signages and digital signages, it’s for you to decide what kind of signage you’ll use. For restaurants, however, neon signs are the best choice. Why? Let’s find out.
Brief History of Neon Signs
Neon signs were very popular in the 50s and 60s. Though they are still in popular use today, those were the golden years of neon when everywhere you look, you’ll see nothing but the warm fuzzy glow of neon lights.
Neon gas, one of the main components of neon signs, was discovered in 1898 by William Ramsey and Morris W. Travers in London. Since then, neon tubes were used as novelties and scientific instruments.
Then, around 1902, Georges Claude, a French engineer, and inventor, applied an electrical discharge to a sealed neon gas tube. This resulted in the creation of the first neon lamp. The neon lamp was revealed to the public on December 11, 1910, in Paris.
In 1923, neon signs were introduced to the United States by Georges Claude and his company Claude Neon by selling two signages to a Packard car dealership in Los Angeles for $1,250 each.
Since then, neon signs became very popular. They were visible even in daylight and people would stop and stare at neon signs for hours calling it “liquid fire”. Their popularity continuously grew until they reached their peak from the 50s to 90s.
In the recent decade, neon signs have declined in popularity and usage due to the introduction of a new technology: LED. However, in recent years, neon signs have seen an increase in usage and popularity.
Why Neon Signs?
Neon signs, although seemingly replaced by LED signs, are still very popular nowadays. In fact, there are studies that revealed neon lights to be far efficient and brighter compared to modern LED lights, which makes neon signages superior compared to LED and other kinds of signages.
Aside from that, neon signs have a nostalgic appeal. Most of us grew up in the days where neon was very popular and even newer generations are seeking the warm, fuzzy and welcoming glow they have to offer – especially after their recent resurgence.
Compared to LED signs that have a cold and bland light to it, neon signs, like we said, emit a warm glow. They are welcoming and they make you feel fuzzy which are perfect for restaurants whose main goal is to call customers. They entice a hungry diner to come to your establishment to fill their hungry belly.
In addition to that, if you utilize the right colors, spotting your neon sign alone can make potential customers famished. Combine this with the mesmerizing aura of neon lights and you’ll hypnotize customers to come to your restaurant.
Advantages and Benefits of Neon Signs
Is there all there is to it? Are the colors and its warm glow the only weapon that makes neon signs the best contender? Of course, it’s not. Here are some of the benefits and advantages of using neon signs:
- Visibility. Neon signs emit a bright and colorful glow that can be easily spotted from a distance. In addition to that, as most businesses are using LED signages nowadays, the different look and feel of neon will immediately make you stand out, instantly putting you one step ahead of the competition.
- Longevity. Neon signs last for at least a decade. They last longer than light bulbs, which typically has around 1-2 years of life – that’s five times longer! In fact, when neon signs fail, it’s mostly due to the deterioration of electrical wiring and not the neon itself.
- Cheaper and Energy Efficient. The initial cost of setting up a neon sign is far cheaper than LEDs and other illuminated signages. Further, they consume less electricity. A common misconception is that they use more electricity than LEDs – that’s simply not true. As neon lights are brighter than LEDs, if you were to achieve the same level of brightness as neon using LEDs, you would need to have more LED bulbs in your signage, which would actually cost more in terms of electric usage.
- Operating Freedom. Traditional lights require a standard electric source, neon lights, on the other hand, can be operated on a wide variety of voltage. This gives enough freedom in terms of lighting, giving birth to a wide range of creative lighting approach depending on the type of power source utilized.
- Durability. Neon lights are unaffected by the power surge and sudden outages.
- Limitless creativity. Neon tubes can create shapes and designs that are harder or even impossible to achieve using other types of signages. Even if a design can be created using other types of signages, the appeal of the one using neon is still superior.
Neon signs have been used for over a century. It’s a tried and tested solution that’s been improved through major scientific discoveries and modern technology.
Contrary to popular belief, neon signs still remain one of the superior signage for restaurants. They are cheaper in overall cost and are better suited to the job of attracting diners. Their warm and welcoming glow will certainly attract anyone looking for a place to eat.